CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Stroboscopic Shot

Stroboscopic Photography: The technique of photographing a moving subject with camera’s shutter open to yield multiple stationary exposures of successive movement phases.

How to do it:
-Set an exposure at f/2.8 for 1/2 second
-Set flash unit to give five bursts at 1/16 power (allows the flash to fire five times evenly during the 1/2 second exposure)
-Subject should be approx. 10 feet from camera

Problem:
As far as I know, you cannot do this with a normal SLR camera, unless it is a preset inbuilt option in the camera unless you get yourself a strobe.

What you can do:
1. Long shutter speed (1 second) then illuminate a moving subject with an actual strobe light source that flashes really quick.

2. Take 5 photos of the motion, and superimpose in Photoshop using "screen transparency effect" (I haven't actually tried it yet, but will get more into detail once I do).

---
Thanks to Jeremy Philips for the tips.

3 comments:

MeiYah said...

wow that was COOL!!! :)

Sculptureblogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sculptureblogger said...

Hello!

I really appreciate the interest in my photos, so thanks for posting it in this blog!

This was in fact taken with a normal SLR camera (a rolleiflex) and I used a hired strobe lamp with variable speeds. There are about eleven exposures on this cartwheel image. It all comes down to rhythm and timing to get a shot like this.

More of my stroboscopic images and my sculptures can be seen at www.marinagraham.co.uk and at Artreview.com, Saatchi Online and Artmesh.org.

Best Wishes to all! I see many interesting photographs here.

love

Marina

April 30, 2008 3:35 AM